Your guide to Subject Access Requests

Subject Access Requests (SARs)

Under the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), you are entitled to request access to the data we hold on you.

Recital 63 of the GDPR states, “a data subject should have the right of access to personal data which have been collected concerning him or her, and to exercise that right easily and at reasonable intervals, in order to be aware of, and verify, the lawfulness of the processing.”

Our GDPR privacy policies are available to view here. These lay out the legal basis by which we gather, hold and process your personal data.

The quickest and most straightforward way for you to view your personal medical record is to request access to your detailed medical records through completing an online access request form. Here you can view entries made in your clinical record, clinic letters, test results and other coded information such a blood pressure readings. You can filter the record by date or by data type.

In line with the GDPR, patients can submit a request for their full medical record or targeted medical conditions under a Subject Access Request (SAR).  Any patient requesting a SAR must complete the following Application for SAR Form

Subject Access Requests are now free of charge, however whilst the GDPR regulations state that a copy of your personal data should be provided free, we may charge for additional copies. We can charge a fee if we think the request is ‘manifestly unfounded or excessive’. If so, we may ask for a reasonable fee for administrative costs associated with the request.

Once you have made your request, your GP will need to check your medical record to ensure that any sensitive information about third parties is removed before your record is released to you - this will be released in paper form and you will be contacted to collect within one calendar month of receiving the form detailing the Subject Access Request.

If you require any assistance in making a Subject Access Request please contact the surgery.  Further information can be found on the Information Commissioners Office website: